Some guidance to Getting on The Road

Please note the information presented here is a guide and is correct to our knowledge at time of publishing, we recommend should you require specific information to contact the appropriate authorities.


Before you can legally ride a motorcycle or moped on the road, you must: 

  • be over 16 years of age to ride a moped (50cc restricted to 30 mph)

  • be over 17 years of age to ride a light motorcycle 

  • be over 18 years of age to ride a heavy motorcycle  

  • purchase appropriate Insurance

  • get a provisional licence

  • complete the compulsory basic training (CBT) course  

  • purchase an approved motorcycle crash helmet to wear at all times whilst riding

  • Although not a legal requirement, it is highly advised to wear protective motorcycle clothing to include a jacket, trousers, gloves & boots. Not only will this help protect you if you are to come off your bike, it will also protect you from the elements.


Attending and completing the CBT course

The CBT course is not an exam. It is a compulsory course of training that you are required to complete satisfactorily. You must complete the course in Jersey even if you already have a CBT certificate from the UK or Guernsey.

The course is conducted at weekends by the Jersey School of Motorcycling. You can book a course by completing an application form. 

Getting a provisional licence

 You must apply for your provisional licence at your local parish hall. You will need: 

  • to complete an application form (available from the parish hall) 

  • 1 passport sized photograph 

  • to pay the licence fee


The provisional licence is available for the following categories of vehicle:

  • moped (50cc) (P) 

  • light motorcycle (up to 125cc) (A1) 

  • heavy motorcycle (A) 


If you are applying for categories P or A1 your provisional licence will not be valid until you have successfully completed the CBT course. The CBT course essentially 'activates' your provisional licence.
If you are applying for category A, you must have held a full licence for category A1 for at least 12 months. Also, if your application is following a period of disqualification, you will require a CBT certificate before you are entitled to ride on the road.

Your provisional licence is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. You must attempt a driving test before your provisional licence expires or you may not be able to renew it for 1 year (this will also affect any application for a car licence).


Riding on the road as a learner rider

When you have completed the CBT course and have your provisional licence, you are able to ride on the road as a 'learner'

When riding on the road, you should make sure that you have:

  • your provisional licence 

  • your CBT Certificate 

  • a valid insurance disc displayed on the vehicle (Insurance Disc Holders available in store)

  • an 'L' learner plate integrally displayed as part of the rear number plate (available in store)

  • fully operational direction indicators (ask us if you need help with this!)

  • a brake light that operates with the front brake and the rear brake (ask us if you need help with this!)

  • an approved crash helmet (huge range available in store)


You should also wear bright and protective motorcycle clothing, such as gloves, boots and a motorcycle jacket. (Huge range in store)


Learner riders are not allowed to carry passengers.


Getting a full licence

To get a full licence, you must pass both a driving theory test and a practical driving test. You must attempt a theory test before your provisional licence expires or you may be unable to renew it for 1 year.